Saturday, 16 November 2013

Make do and mend

My newly acquired sewing skills have found a use. Immy (my darling daughter) has way out-grown a cherished dress; but, rather than consign it to the charity shop, I've taken a leaf out of the grandmother's book, and employed the skills of make do and mend.

Essentially,  all I did was chop off the tiny bodice...

...then, all I needed to do was cut out a bigger bodice shape from toning fabric.

Finally,  I sewed the new bodice onto the skirt.  Obviously, Immy likes to carefully supervise and make sure I'm doing things right.

Ta da! A new, bigger, dress.  Finished with bias binding to tie it all together, and a little fabric flower.

Ironically, it is now a little too big for her! But only slightly.  I feel really chuffed to have given it a new lease of life.  They out-grow things so quickly, and this was a good way to give a nice dress a longer life span. Very easy and very quick to sew.

And (although I'm biased) rather wonderfully modelled by my little girl.


  1. Definitely a good way to get more use out of a pretty dress - and the flower is cute too!

  2. Thank you. Immy has worn it a few times now so glad I did it.