Sunday 16 February 2014

Trousers for the boys

I've recently joined The Monthly Stitch collective.  I'd been reading their posts for a while, but didn't feel I could sew to order like that.

Then, I realised: hey, I don't need to do every challenge, just ones that fit in with my general plans. Well, February's challenge is to sew trousers, and my boys desperately need some new ones, so here goes...


2014_02_badge

They love a bit of army camouflage! I liked the blue, but versions in green have already been requested by the boys (as that's the proper army colour)!



The fabric is a thick heavy duty cotton; it has the weight of a light denim, and it was a joy to cut and sew.

The pattern is one from my Nan's stash.  She must have brought it to sew for me back in the Seventies.  It feels fab to be sewing it for my boys. It's an easy pattern with no zip, just an elasticated waistband. This suits me as I still need to develop my limited zip skills, and it suits them as it makes the trousers super easy to pull on when you are aged 4 or 7.


I nearly had a coronary trying to work out how to do a blind hem stitch! I've lost count of how many  tutorials I watched online, but I couldn't get my head around it! Eventually I decided I just had to walk away.  Laurie's pair I hand sewed, but with Rowan's I persevered the following day, and eventually managed it. But not without rather a lot of swearing! The trick will be if I can do it again next time.


Even though there is three years between the boys they rather like to be matchy-matchy.  Despite much squabbling, I think they love each other really.


Details include cute little pockets which have already been used for stones, mud and stolen coins!


Theses picture were taken at Emmaus in Portslade, It's so lovely there with vintage finds in the chapel shop, a fabulous cafe and secret gardens to discover.  They had a lovely time and it was a great way to kick-start their half-term holiday.

In other news, Onesmallstitch has nominated me for a Liebster blogging award.  Very chuffed! Just got to put my thinking cap on for my answers...

5 comments:

  1. They look like good trousers - your boys are obviously very happy with them! Well done for persevering on the blind hem, I'm sure you'll be able to do it again next time, hopefully with less swearing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, just hope I can remember all the folding and positioning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trousers look great! And so nice you can use an old pattern. On a busty print like his, could you not just machine stitch the hem? You probably wouldn't see the stitching, and it would make life easier!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that would have been easier! Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pants!! My son has been asking me to sew something for him. Maybe I will have to try a camo pant. He is getting so close to the age when he will not think it is cool anymore. I feel I really need to enjoy it while it last. :))) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete