Saturday 8 February 2014

Stylish Dress Book Vol 1. Design Q or... my best make yet!

This is the pleated knit tunic from The Stylish Dress book volume 1 by Tuttle publishing.  And I have to say this is my favourite Japanese pattern book to date.  I LOVE each and every design.



The best thing about this tunic is without doubt the tucks; they are beautiful, and they create such wonderful folds in the fabric.  I am glowing at how mighty fine this garment is.


Now I am not saying it was an easy make.  Knit fabric and I are not exactly best friends. But I was determined to become at least nodding acquaintances with jersey knits.


I think the secret of my success here was... practice.  Here is what my first version looked like.  I made this one last week.  Yes, I know it's really wonky, and the stitching is a disaster, but I am a firm believer in learning from one's mistakes.


As wonky and lopsided as this is, the thrill I got from finishing it was immense, and it will do for bed!  Anyway, no sooner had I finished this than the next was cut out ready to go.  I practised the pleats on scrap fabric as well, and over time I got better.


The result is: I love it.


I can't say I didn't have help: sewing bloggers are marvellous at sharing their knowledge. I learnt so much from everyone's tips and tutorials.  Tilly and the buttons advice is good, and she links to other bloggers with even more advice. Really helpful.



The fabric is really pretty, grey and brown with gold - it is lovely, soft and fluid.  A lot of my ready to wear clothes are jersey, easy to wear and no ironing required. Would I sew jersey again? Yes, yes, yes. I have bought some more fabric in preparation.  But I'll tell you what, I can't wait to sew some nice sturdy non-stretchy cotton.  Bring it on.

16 comments:

  1. Yay!! Those pleats look divine - well worth the practices! Gorgeous autumnal colours, lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, The stretchy tops you made before Xmas from Drape Drape were one of the reasons I want to get better at knits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so awesome in it! Amazing. If only I had an eighth of your talent...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, and you could do it. My first version was awful, it was just practice.

      Delete
  4. It's really lovely on you, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I love the shape and general look of the tunic, good with jeans, or tights and boots. I can see me sewing up another.

      Delete
  5. Definitely worth the practice on the pleats - the finished version looks great and it's always nice when you love a finished project and know you've improved your skills along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, honestly I was on a sewing high when I completed it even the crappy version left me elated.

      Delete
  6. Oh very cute! I had three Japanese pattern books on loan from the library late last year. Time didn't permit me to make anything then, but you are re-igniting my enthusiasm. They just have the coolest designs! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh go for it I love these pattern books. Even if I'm not sewing anything from the m I like to look through them for pleasure.

      Delete
  7. Hi, just letting you know I've nominated you for a Liebster award. You can see the details on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, firstly congratulations to you and thank you for the nomination I am truely flattered. Thank you. Off to check out your post now.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love the shape of this top - the pleats, the sleeves, the neckline, everything! You've made some great pieces out of that book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a mighty fine garment indeed and it looks beautiful on you. Haven't tried making one of these yet - there are so many lovely patterns in all the Stylish Dress Books but may have to prioritise making this top now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously Danielle Think I want to make every pattern in this book!

    ReplyDelete