Thursday 9 January 2014

Stylish Dress Book Vol 2 - Dress D

...or the table cloth dress, as I like to think of it!

I rather enjoy making things to wear from old curtains or table cloths, as I have here - it appeals to my sense of frugality.  I've made this dress pattern once before; the blog post about it is here.


As the fabic is a nice thick cotton gingham, it is easy to wear and to wash.  It was also easy to make - the pattern is simple with only five pattern pieces, and the instructions are straightforward.




The roomy pockets are my favourite bit: big enough for my iPhone, and for packets of sweets confiscated from naughty children (I have real-world experience to back that one up!).  The neckline is flattering (I think so, anyway) and is big enough to go over my head without a zip.



Now, a lot of bloggers have been documenting their plans for 2014; here are mine... I don't have any! Sewing is my hobby and my joy.  I am going to go with the flow, make things, and have fun.  I'm not going to worry about specific fabrics or patterns, just enjoy myself.

Having said that, there are a few things I have to make: the boys need new trousers, but after several failed shopping trips I can find nothing that will fit both their waists and their heights!  Oddly the fact that I need to make these, makes me reluctant to start: I am a contrary mary.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a good way to make use of a tablecloth to me! I like your attitude to sewing plans as well - I have some very loose plans, but they're mainly just related to enjoying whatever I'm making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for just enjoying making, I think its the way to go.

      Delete
  2. Such a cute dress! I love both your versions and it's great that they can be part of a summer and a winter wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, the tablecloth dress layers really well. It's just so easy to just throw on.

      Delete
  3. Ts is a cute dress. And good for you for not having plans! I always have them and rarely stick to them, so I'd be as we'll not to bother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I liked the fact you have loads of plans Helen. Doesn't matter if you change your mind along the way it is all part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete