Saturday 7 October 2017

Fit and flare success.

Hello. Long time no see! As many of you know, I have started on a Masters at University; consequently, I haven't been so busy in many a year: my brain is literally throbbing from overuse! Calm and meditative sewing has been the order of the day, to take the edge off the academic overload.

Today, I have a dress to share with you that has been made a while. I was contacted by Lucy from Sew Essential to ask if I would like to review some fabric. I chose this lovely John Kaldor Isabella teal wool mix fabric. Because of the wool, it's lovely and warm, perfect for this autumnal time of year. The fabric is deliciously soft and is really nice to wear.

Cardi and boots stop it being too girly for me!

I will be honest and say that I was worried at first about cutting out such a delicate fabric. It felt like it was going to slip and slide as I cut it.  But after I washed and pressed it, the fabric settled down and behaved.


The pattern  (McCalls M7160) is a real departure for me. I am more of a shift dress kind of girl, and fit and flare felt very girly.  But I like it, and can see this getting worn a good deal both in Autumn and Spring. I am pleased with how well it fits, so I may well make another. The pattern has lots of sleeve options, but I must have fat arms as they all felt tight and restrictive. Some head scratching and pattern drafting would be needed to add sleeves in any future version!

Loving the twirl factor!

All in all, I am really pleased with the dress. I would recommend the fabric for an Autumn/Winter project. Indeed, a friend of mine has just bought the same to make a renfrew with cowl neck, which would be lovely. And the next post will be less of a wait, I hope (work permitting!).

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your MA is going well. I love this dress Louise. The fabric is such a gorgeous colour on you and from the photos it looks like it has a lovely drape too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress and your funky haircut. It looks great with the cardigan - the pink and teal are a great combination. Keep working hard! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the dress, great colour and good to hear it behaved well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds like lovely fabric! Your dress looks great & really suits you! That’s great to hear you’re enjoying being back studying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress Louise! It looks really cosy. Good luck with your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome fit Louise! Your dress is gorgeous. And I love the booties with it too!

    Keep on keeping on with your studies! That. And Kids. And life. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your studies are going well! Love this shape on you, and the colour is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete