Saturday 29 July 2017

School uniform Simplicity 8108

Hi all. I've somehow got behind in blogging some of my makes. I made the darling girl a new summer uniform at the start of last term, and she has worn it loads and loads. I forgot to Instagram or blog it - standards are slipping! I have another few makes I'm looking forward to blogging soon too.


I chose this pattern as I'm hoping to make the adult "dottie angel frock" and wanted a trial run first! This is the mini me version of the pattern, and looks so cute on the pattern envelope.


The fabric is a cheap and cheerful gingham from The Fabric Shop, Worthing in tiny uniform style squares. The best bit is the huge pocket, perfect for Lego, small stones or feathers. The pattern has the pocket edged in bias binding, but I chose to line the pocket for strength and so didn't need the binding.


The pattern was easy to put together as its basically just a front,  a back and a pocket. The sleeves are grown on, and very comfy looking; the neckline is big enough to go over the head without being huge or gaping or slipping off the shoulder.

Pre-sewing main dress together

The sleeves are the weak point of the dress, so I have gone over the stitching line several times to reinforce it. It's so far held together through rigorous wearing and washing, but if I were to make another I would interface this area and possibly stabilise with another layer of fabric as well. You basically make a snip into the dress, below becomes the side seam and above becomes the sleeve hem. Easy to do, but prone to weakness. I can foresee the dress ripping there.


But the resultant dress has proved really popular. Easy for the little one to put on by herself with no fastening to negotiate, and the elastic under the bust and at the back cinches the dress in and gives it a lovely shape.


It was a quick make. The pattern goes up to age 8, so I imagine there will be a few more in years to come, for easy uniform or maybe some super cute prints for holiday wear.

That's all for today. A bit of a seasonally inappropriate post, as all the little ones are off for 6 weeks hols now!

10 comments:

  1. Aww your daughter looks lovely in her dress, and the pattern looks great! So has it made you want to make the adult version?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its moved up the list, not quite at the top though.

      Delete
  2. Such a cutie! I have to pay silver for modelling like that! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah she love's it when the camera comes out!

      Delete
  3. It's lovely! The pattern works so well as a summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great, practical project - and it sounds like you'll be getting your money's worth out of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I considered making Cassie some school dresses too but I bought them in the end, lucky really as her school is changing the uniform in September and they'd have all been the wrong colour to wear in the future.

    ReplyDelete