Sunday 17 January 2016

New trousers!

Good evening. It's been cold recently, and this morning - to the joy of my youngest - it snowed. Sadly for her, it had all melted in the short time it took her to get dressed. Poor thing. We went outside anyway to photograph my new trousers, but it was very cold so we decamped indoors pronto.


I love the print of this fabric; dark blue floral print against a deep plummy purple. I bought it about a year ago on a whim from Fabricland in Brighton; it's a scuba knit and is thick and spongy. The trousers feel surprisingly lovely when on!


I really liked the fabric but because of the fabric content (polyester) I wouldn't want to wear it as a top or dress as it would be too sweaty, so it was destined to be either skirt or trousers.

From the front.

From the back
After making my muslin (simplicity 1314) I knew I had to raise the centre back and 
I used the slash and spread method to add room to the back of my trouser pattern. Very easy to do and worked a treat.


I am really pleased with how these turned out and would ideally like another pair. I have the most delicious wool and viscose knit from Ditto fabrics that I had earmarked for more trousers. It is almost black on the right side, but I prefer the wrong side as its a gorgeous mix of light grey and white in an almost twill effect.


But now I am deliberating as the fabric is so yummy and would make a lovely dress too. Decisions decisions!

15 comments:

  1. These trousers are striking! I have not sewn with scuba but have considered making a skirt from it. Is it easy to sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a walking foot, but other than that it was fine.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Love the fabric! They must be lovely and comfort to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the design/colours - have never sewn with scuba myself - something else to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so good! Live the fabric! Love the pattern really suits you! And the grey/black will look good too! I still have not conquered trousers yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah these are easy ones Su only elastic at the waist.

      Delete
  5. You have a cardigan to go with them too. It is always great when you make an item you can wear rather than an elephant in the wardrobe. I have to do the opposite and always take the waist in and the bottom out! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually I have a few pinky jumpers that will match with them.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea using scuba for pants! I agree, I'm not a fan of using it for dresses or tops as I get too sweaty. These pants look super and am sure they will keep you toasty warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it works well as pants and holds it shape nicely.

      Delete
  7. What gorgeous fabric, and I love the colours! These look great, and it's good they're so comfy. I can't wait to see your grey fabric made up too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pants. I having been trying to master the pant for a couple of months now so I am soooo impressed with your fit. The fabric is pretty perfect too!!

    ReplyDelete