I had agreed to make a dress for a friend's lovely daughter ages ago, but put it off with excuse after excuse. Finally the guilt got to me: the little girl is so nice, I had to get started. I thought if I were going to do this, I wanted to enjoy it; so, I treated myself to a 'new to me' vintage pattern from ebay.
I love vintage patterns, the instructions are so clear and easy to follow. I even finally understood how to ease the fullness of the hem which had seemed like gibberish to me when I'd read about it before.
I am so happy with this make; if only it were in my size, I'd definitely wear it! The fabric is good old curtain remnants from the 70's so era appropriate for the pattern. (You may be wondering where you recognise it from - I previously made a pinafore with it for my baby girl here.)
I wanted to add a bit of colour so I added some applique flowers. I cut out three, but decided in the end that two was enough.
The flowers are attached with Bonda-web and then freehand machine embroidered on top. I have to say I love it!
It has a lapped zipper at the back, and completing it has helped stop me being so terrified of zips (still have not tried an invisible one yet, though).
The bodice also has a gentle curve to it, which gives a lovely shape. It is lined with a faux silk and has the cutest little cap sleeves.
I enjoyed this make immensely, though it was very time-consuming. The only tough bit was giving it away!!! Turns out I am a selfish selfless sewer. Hope she likes wearing it; I think she will...