Saturday 14 February 2015

And now for something completely different...

No 9. The larch:

I have come down from the sewing high of my regency dress. I felt lost for a brief period, with the pressure of a time constraint suddenly lifted. Now that's passed, though, I feel great - I can sew whatever I like, in my own sweet time. I'm thinking of basic t-shirts, casual trousers, etc. But first this:


A cute little "Newborn Flyaway Jacket" from the fabulous book "101 great ways to Sew a Metre". This was actually one of the first sewing books I ever bought. The projects are mostly easy and clearly explained with words and pictures. I'd definitely recommend this to the beginner, though it may be a bit basic for those with more advanced sewing skills.


One of the best aspects of the book is the range of projects; bags, toys, organisers, clothes for children, adults, even projects for pets. It makes me feel better about having purchased a sewing book if I can quickly make something wearable from it, rather than just read it: better value for money!

Picture from the book.  Edges bound with bias.
My version - lined, rather than bound.

This is a fun lined little newborn jacket.  Though I think the sizing is a bit off. I gave it to my friend's 4-week old daughter and I honestly don't think it will fit her for months!


It's cute, though. I love the fabric, you may recognise it from my little girl's strawberry pinafore. I get huge satisfaction from using up every last scrap of  fabric.

14 comments:

  1. What a cute little jacket! Looks like a good way to get back into the swing of deadline-free sewing after your Regency dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute - what a lucky little girl to get such a sweet little jacket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a real sweetie. Hope it won't be long before she is wearing it.

      Delete
  3. Still loving the fabric and the jacket is just darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is really cute. May have to make something for myself with a cute print.

      Delete
  4. Such a cute jacket, I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a darling little make! Great idea to line it rather than bind it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so makes it warmer at this time of year too.

      Delete
  6. Aw, it's so sweet! I'm sure a bit too big is better than too small where babies are concerned - they do grow so ridiculously fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really sweet! And you're right, it's really satisfying to use up scraps. About as satisfying as squeezing a full garment out of a metre :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a good book for those small pieces of fabric.

      Delete