Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Simplicity 1787

Thank you sewing bloggers for advice regarding cutting jersey on the crossgrain. I had a big piece of doubleknit jersey with a lovely patterned border along the selvedge, and I wanted to make the most of the great motif. Originally I had in mind to use the pattern as a hem, but upon hearing that it would stretch out of shape, I decided to play safe and use the grainline of the fabric.  Here is what I came up with:


This is Simplicity 1787 Girls. I was a bit worried as it is a child's pattern, but I fall well within the measurements, so I thought I'd go for it. And actually it fits me perfectly.


It comes with a sheet to design your fashion elements! You can add faux piping, metal chain, rosettes, etc. I added none of these as they seemed a little naff on an adult.


I'm rather pleased with this make, I think it is the trickiest I have done to date (sadly that's not boasting much as it is defined as an easy make!). The pockets are fabulous and I adore them.


I feel that the princess seams are rather flattering for me. I'd always thought you needed to be busty to look good with this shape, so I am surprised and very pleased.


The suggested fabrics are wovens but after seeing Thornberry's version that she made for her daughter, I decided to give it a go in jersey. It is so comfy, I have loved wearing it. Honestly, I am ridiculously happy about this dress, comfy and stylish, a win-win


The pattern demands a zip closure, but in jersey you do not need it. I hope to make another version one day in needlecord, and for that I would use the suggested zip. It is loose fitting, so if I curved the side seams in a little on the next version, it would be more shapely and womanly; that would obviously be a plus, but the flip side would be losing the comfiness.  One to ponder...


The yoke was a beggar to sew.  I must have read and reread those instructions twenty times!  I got there eventually, but not without a considerable amount of unpicking and some choice language! It was worth it though, the neckline looks great.


And I also have enough fabric left over for a matching Coco, which was the pattern I had in mind when I bought the fabric.

13 comments:

  1. Genius! This is such a beautiful dress and an inspired idea to use a children's sewing pattern. Love your fabric choice, it looks perfectly made (worth all the unpicking) and the dress looks gorgeous on you. A superb make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! Your fabric is perfectly divine and you've placed it beautifully, lovely work! - and it looks as practical and comfortable as you describe - a definite win! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is practical and comfy, It feels so me.

      Delete
  3. Looks great, Louise! The fabric is amazing and I love how you manipulated the pattern. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely! The pockets are a really interesting detail. A needlecord version is a great idea - looking forward to seeing it someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pockets sit inside the princess seam- such a neat idea.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I LOVE it! It looks fantastic on you, and that print is stunning - especially the way you've placed it. Just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fabric! This dress looks lovely on you. Congrats on a lovely outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH Louise! Your dress is fabulous! Well done! The fabric choice really is gorgeous and well suited to the garment! I LOVE it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete