Sunday 21 February 2016

Key hole blouse

Hi folks. Today's post is about a garment that is not a success, but has the makings of success!


This top is based on the free pattern that came with February's Love Sewing magazine. The illustrations looked very 'me', and I felt I just had to try it. I was a little wary however as the previous "Simple Sew" pattern I tried was a poor fit on me. As this is a loose fitting garment I felt fitting wouldn't be a problem; I was almost right!


I took two inches out of the length, and I am really happy with that adjustment. But the keyhole that drew me to the pattern does nothing for me; it is too big and gaping. I had suspected this may be the case and already shortened the length of the keyhole but obviously not by enough! I am still debating whether to keep this feature, albeit even smaller on my next make, or do it close-fronted.


There will be another, as it has so much potential to be the perfect top for me. I shall do a small shoulder adjustment on the next version. I have never done one before, but I feel the top is too wide and also needs to be a little higher at the neckline.


I chose the version without pleats, but that was less an aesthetic choice and more down to the limited yardage I had. I really love the fabric - it is so light, but with an almost crinkly texture. I think this is called a crepe? It was however a bugger to cut out. I used a rotary cutter, but the fabric tried its damnedest to shift this way and that.  I had to abandon it several times whilst cutting out to avoid swearing at fabric.


Sewing this fluid fabric was tricky but not impossible; again, it wanted to stretch and move under the needle. There were several moments when I felt I wasn't experienced enough to sew such flimsy fabric, but the finished blouse has made me want to sew with delicate fabric until I master it, as it drapes exquisitely. This was also the first project I have used my overlocker on. A first for me!

Sadly I can't wear this as the keyhole feels very exposing, but I am still glad I made it as it was a learning experience. Onwards and upwards; it is Kids Clothes Week next week!

16 comments:

  1. It looks fab, such a shame it wasn't righ. Its a rotten feeling when you really imagine something is going to work but it doesnt quite go to plan. think i would keep the keyhole but make it smaller for the next version, it is such a cute feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly I am not too depressed by its failure, I'd just love to have some time to have another go.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely, though I see what you mean about the keyhole still being a bit big - what a shame! Would you possibly be able to bring the edges of the neckline tie together? I'm thinking of a rtw top of mind which has the neck edges tied together in a bow. It also has a very low keyhole, but the combination of bow and narrowed opening make it wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea, but I used up every single scrap of fabric making this I don't have any more to make longer ties. But I agree that it would probably work.

      Delete
  3. A pity, but we all have these learning experiences. Can you wear it over a tee shirt or camisole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be a way to at least get some wear out of it.

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely top. However, I would try to make the next one without the keyhole and I am sure this will be an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That keyhole is enormous! Those envelope illustrations are very pretty but it's not great if they aren't accurately showing the finished product like that. I hope you get it sorted though because I'm sure it will look lovely in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures inside the magazine on the models were similar I should have looked more closely at that!

      Delete
  6. such a shame, a friend has had issues with the pattens from love sewing - so I've not tried them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is they are so tempting! But this may put me off them for a bit!

      Delete
  7. Louise I don't think this needs to go on the unworn pile just yet - find a small scrap of co-ordinating fabric and hand sew it on the inside section of he key-hole - so you get a delicate reverse applique / cut-work feature in your top! I think it would be a shame not to wear such a pretty top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a shame it didn't work out for you. I think it's definitely worth trying a smaller keyhole - something more like the size suggested by the pattern envelope (which is obviously smaller than the keyhole on the actual pattern) would probably look really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good. Could you wear it in the Autumn with a black long sleeved T-shirt underneath? Definitely try it again. I have never had much luck with simple sew patterns - ironically so simple they don't fit!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks fabulous. What about wearing it with a pretty camisole underneath? Or putting another piece of fabric behind the keyhole to give it contrast and fill the hole?

    ReplyDelete