This top is based on the free pattern that came with February's Love Sewing magazine. The illustrations looked very 'me', and I felt I just had to try it. I was a little wary however as the previous "Simple Sew" pattern I tried was a poor fit on me. As this is a loose fitting garment I felt fitting wouldn't be a problem; I was almost right!
I took two inches out of the length, and I am really happy with that adjustment. But the keyhole that drew me to the pattern does nothing for me; it is too big and gaping. I had suspected this may be the case and already shortened the length of the keyhole but obviously not by enough! I am still debating whether to keep this feature, albeit even smaller on my next make, or do it close-fronted.
There will be another, as it has so much potential to be the perfect top for me. I shall do a small shoulder adjustment on the next version. I have never done one before, but I feel the top is too wide and also needs to be a little higher at the neckline.
I chose the version without pleats, but that was less an aesthetic choice and more down to the limited yardage I had. I really love the fabric - it is so light, but with an almost crinkly texture. I think this is called a crepe? It was however a bugger to cut out. I used a rotary cutter, but the fabric tried its damnedest to shift this way and that. I had to abandon it several times whilst cutting out to avoid swearing at fabric.
Sewing this fluid fabric was tricky but not impossible; again, it wanted to stretch and move under the needle. There were several moments when I felt I wasn't experienced enough to sew such flimsy fabric, but the finished blouse has made me want to sew with delicate fabric until I master it, as it drapes exquisitely. This was also the first project I have used my overlocker on. A first for me!
Sadly I can't wear this as the keyhole feels very exposing, but I am still glad I made it as it was a learning experience. Onwards and upwards; it is Kids Clothes Week next week!