Sunday 9 August 2015

New Trousers.

Greetings all. Week three of the summer holidays, and I am so exhausted I can barely move! The kids meanwhile career around with seemingly boundless energy. In the oft spoken words of my youngest: "it not fair!"  Despite this exhaustion, I have somehow produced new trousers.


Super comfy slouch-about-in trousers is what I needed, and what I made. The pattern is NewLook 6216, which is the same pattern with which I made my Mum's pyjama trousers. They were especially easy to whip up, having made them before.


Having said that, I did sew the buggers together wrongly! But it all worked out okay: I was able to use the duff sewing to create French seams! This was possible as the design of the trousers is quite wide and baggy, so they were able to lose a little width to extra seam allowance!


The fabric is a lovely dark burgundy red in linen-look cotton. So easy to sew, and fabulous to wear.  Like linen, they do crease, but perhaps not as fast.


The true beauty of these trousers lies in their elasticated waist. So comfy. Though, I think I feel confident enough to give "proper" trousers a go now!


I have worn these babies almost constantly since they were finished, and actually they look much nicer with a close fitting top. They seemed determined to photograph badly, though (or perhaps my unmotivated 9 year old photographer was just bored of the task).


I am really pleased with these and could easily see myself making them again if the right fabric caught my eye.

Now, back to the exhausting task of entertaining three kids before they trash my house!

18 comments:

  1. I always find getting trousers right a completely exhausting process involving many versions and lots of stress and these look like a really good fit - it's always a good sign when you reach for them constantly! Love the colour

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely and comfy - I'm not surprised you've been wearing them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worn them loads this summer, they have held up to multiple washes well.

      Delete
  3. They look fab! Comfort and looks- its a win win situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't the most elegant but they are comfy!

      Delete
  4. Comfy is perfect for summer. I love that your nine year old is your photographer! My eight year old son loves to take pics but in order to get 5 usable ones we must shoot what feels like 100! Great pants. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He moans about it, but I think he likes doing it!

      Delete
  5. They look great, love the colour. I really should man up and start making trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones were definitely easy makes. Would be frightened to jump straight it to zip flys etc.

      Delete
  6. They are fab, look so comfy! Love your comment about trashing the house, we have a week of the holidays left and I have given up, my house is in a state of chaos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is nearly always a mess! Depressing really.

      Delete
  7. These look great. Good luck with the rest of the holidays. This is when I realise that working nearly full time is a good thing!!! I can just pay someone else to tire my children out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wearing out children is hard but fun.

      Delete
  8. Well done - I think making trousers you actually love and actually want to wear is pretty much the holy grail of sewing! Good luck with the rest of the holidays ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So how are the holidays going?! Your trousers look great! I like the sound of linen-look trousers. An elasticated waist is always nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holidays were good, but super exhausting. They have worn and washed really well.

      Delete