Tuesday 6 May 2014

My peacock dress

Well, here it is:


I am so pleased with the result: I have a lovely very wearable peacock dress, just like my inspiration dress which I posted about previously, see here: peacock-prettiness.


It is of course Dress S from the Stylish Dress Book Volume 1.  It was not all plain sailing; the most difficult part was getting these adorable cuffs on. I looked at the pictures, read and re-read the instructions but I just couldn't do it.  It took me over an hour just to do one!


And then disaster... it didn't fit!  The cuff was so tight, it just wasn't wearable.  All that effort for nothing.  Sob, sob. I had to unpick it!  I'd cut the size six, and the dress was roomy everywhere other than the cuffs; so, I undid them and just made them about 1 cm longer, faffed about sewing the cuffs back on and finally a great dress. Hurrah!


I love the fact that this has more shapeliness than a regular Japanese-style shift dress, but without any tight fitting around the tum.


The dress was (cuffs notwithstanding) very easy to put together, and I can see more of these dresses fitting in very nicely into my summer wardrobe. If I do make another, I may just opt for an elasticated cuff!


22" zip - so proud!  I've only just stopped avoiding patterns that need zips.  It's not perfect but hey, you gotta start somewhere.


The light gathering around the bust is feminine and flattering for someone like me (with almost no bust!). Overall, I am really happy with how this project came together, from first inspiration through to wearing it out for the first time.  

20 comments:

  1. Oh its adorable! I love the fabric and the style on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think this has persuaded me to look at the print section in the fabric store with a more open eye.

      Delete
  2. It's really lovely! That style is so flattering on you and the fabric is just wonderful. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. inspired by your blog post the other week I'm playing with a scrap of the fabric and some beads tinkering at making a brooch. It may work it might not.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! Congratulations, it's such gorgeous fabric & looks wonderful on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good transition from the inspiration to your finished dress. The fabric's lovely and the dress really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am enjoying using pinterest for inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! You made such a great job of this - it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress! Perfect fabric choice and the design is lovely - worth the extra effort to get the cuff right. Haven't making this one yet but am now tempted...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. The cuffs were a lot of effort though, they have interfacing in to give them structure so I found them tricky to manipulate. They do look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute dress!! Peacock print is so fun! I made some peacock harem pants for myself back in Feb and love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a fun print, I'll check out your archives and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed Louise! One of the most exciting things is being able to sew an inspired version of a dress seen in either a magazine, or on a store mannequin. Despite your hiccup with the sleeve cuffs, you've created a really lovely dress! And I can't imagine why they sized the cuffs as they did...but if/when you do another make with this pattern, I say give the cuffs another go. They look professional, and they'll only get easier to do with each dress you make.

    I'll add in how cute your daughter's dress is too! She is adorable. I used to keep every scrap of fabric...for what I have no clue! Now, I'm much more ruthless. All the bits go in the garbage right away, save for a small square I keep in my fabric samples bag. And I have to have at least, oh about .3 of a metre in an uncut piece to bother saving anymore. I like to make contrasting pockets or under collars, that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Sue, I think I will persevere with the cuffs as I'm likely to make another. Yes I must be more ruthless with fabric. I determined to either use it up quickly or chuck it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really pretty! Great job on the zip, and those cuffs! Maybe next time they will be easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope so, next time I'm going to be sterner with the fabric! I'm pleased with the zip though thank you.

      Delete
  13. This dress it so unique. I love this fabric as can be seen on my pinterest inspiration page here http://www.pinterest.com/pin/193654852700656348/
    Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is a great board. A peacock styled wedding will be fantastic.

      Delete